skip to Main Content

DigMandarin Community Forums How to study Chinese grammar for the HSK Test Levels

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      MandarinGarden123
      Participant

I have seen this question asked a few times, so here’s the best answer I am able to give.

I have collected together and added English for some example sentences that demonstrate grammatical points for the HSK Test Levels HSK 1, HSK 2, and HSK 3. These example sentences can also be downloaded as flashcard files for use in software such as Pleco and StickyStudy.

The excellent AllSet Learning Grammar Wiki has a page that classifies the grammatical points on the site into 6 levels. These seem to correspond roughly to the six HSK Test Levels, so it would be a good idea to ensure you are familiar with the grammatical points in the appropriate levels.

The sample exams at the official HSK site chinesetest.cn has quite a few sample exams for each level; doing all of the exams is great practice at seeing the different ways grammatical points can occur.

Some other grammar books that I own that are useful but don’t have any information on the HSK Test Levels of each point specifically are: Basic Patterns of Chinese Grammar by Chen Ru, Modern Mandarin Chinese Grammar by Claudia Ross,Schaum’s Outline of Chinese Grammar by Claudia Ross.

These sites don’t have much information on their suitability for HSK Test Levels, but are a great resources:Chinese Grammar by Hugh Grigg (who also has an awesome blog), Oxford University’s grammar notes, and these basic review slides at Rutgers are a great way to start.

The HSK grammar books I have found tend to be focused on the ‘Old’ HSK, and so they might not match the HSK Test Levels too well. I have listed a few in case you are willing to try them (I haven’t) Practising HSK Grammar by Zhang Jing, Essentials of HSK Grammar by Zhao Jing, HSK Grammar by Fu Yuping, Brushing Up Your Grammar for HSK by Dong Cui, HSK Grammar Guidebook by Han Zhigang.

I would love to find some more good books and resources for studying Chinese grammar- let me know if you have any suggestions.

TheresaDavis
      Participant

Grammar is the set of structural rules governing the composition of clauses, phrases, and words in any given natural language

Chinese grammar is different from English grammar or the grammar of other European languages you might have encountered, Chinese certainly has a complex grammar itself and mastering how make words, construct phrases and string together sentences is an essential part of learning Chinese.

One’s ability to understand and form grammatical sentences is based on what’s called “procedural memory”, the brain’s way of storing and retrieving implicit knowledge. Without it, we would not be able to drive a car, throw a ball, or speak a language without consciously thinking through each and every tiny step, each and every time we do perform a complex action.

Many language learners fail to reach functional fluency in foreign languages​​ because they approach language study as an academic subject, trying to force feed grammar rules into “declarative memory” (the kind of memory used to store explicit facts) instead of getting the input and output practice they need to truly internalize the language’s underlying structures. Procedural memories are only formed when you get tons of listening and speaking practice.

Peterl88
      Participant
      Claricezhao
      Participant

If you want to learn Chinese HSK grammar, this channel is extremely useful to you:

http://www.hanbridgemandarin.com/course/demo/hsk_grammar

lili
      Participant

a very interesting web site to learn chinese with quiz, questions dynamic content adapted to your chinese level.

http://www.chinesecontest.fr

Hanqiao
      Participant

Nihao!  For the Chinese HSK PREP students,  Chinese grammar will be difficult. You need study from simple one to hard ones. Even though very simple words which look alike, it would be in totally different meaning. If you are interested in learning from the teachers, you can take the course here(HSK ONLINE course for free). Wish you succeed!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.