Without a doubt, Love is a common theme throughout history because it is one of the most powerful human emotions that helps bind people together. Just as with other cultures, the Chinese have a lot of sayings about Love. Here are twelve Chinese proverbs about love which can help you understand this emotion from the point of view of Chinese culture:
1. 执子之手，与子偕老。(Zhí zǐ zhī shǒu，yǔ zǐ xié lǎo.)
Hold your hand, and grow old with you.
2. 在天愿作比翼鸟,在地愿为连理枝。(Zài tiān yuàn zuò bǐ yì niǎo, zài dì yuàn wéi lián lǐ zhī.)
In the heaven we shall be birds flying side by side, and on the earth we shall be twinned trunks flowering sprigs on the same branch.
3. 萝卜青菜，各有所爱。(Luóbo qīnɡcài，ɡè yǒu suǒ ài.)
Every man loves to his own taste.
4. 情人眼里出西施 (Qínɡrén yǎn lǐ chū xīshī)
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Love is blind.
5. 有情人终成眷属 (Yǒu qínɡ rén zhōnɡ chénɡ juànshǔ.)
The lovers are finally together, all shall be well.
6. 落花有意，流水无情。(Luò huā yǒu yì，liúshuǐ wú qínɡ.)
The flower has intentions, but the water has no feeling.
While the dropping flowers pine for love，the heartless brook babbles on.
The waterside flower pining for love sheds petals, while the heartless brook babbles on.
7. 有情饮水饱，无情食饭饥。(Yǒuqínɡ yínshuǐ bǎo, wúqínɡ shífàn jī.)
With affection, the lovers could feel enough though they only drink water, but without affection, the lovers could be hungry though they eat food.
8. 爱屋及乌(Ài wū jí wū)
Love the house, also the crow.
If you love someone, you will love also the things associated with that someone.
Love at first sight.
10. 爱之深，责之切。(Ài zhī shēn，zé zhī qiē.)
Love well, whip well.
Fear is the heart of love.
11. 有缘千里来相会 (Yǒu yuán qiān lǐ lái xiānghuì)
Fate brings people together no matter how far apart they may be.
Separated as we are, thousands of miles apart, we come together as if by destiny.
12. 愿得一心人，白首不相离。（Yuàn dé yī xīn rén, bái shǒu bù xiāng lí.）
When you catch someone’s heart, you will never be apart.
Perhaps these Chinese sayings about love can also help you express your feelings more eloquently and soulfully. They are just a small portion of Chinese proverbs about love, and truly understanding them can open the gate of your interest to Chinese culture and enrich your understanding of it.