The HSK 4 assesses test takers’ abilities in the application of everyday Chinese. It is the counterpart of the Level IV of the Chinese Language Proficiency Scales for Speakers of Other Languages and the B2 Level of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEF).
Test takers who are able to pass the HSK (Level IV) can converse in Chinese on a wide range of topics and are able to communicate fluently with native Chinese speakers.
It’s required to master 1200 commonly used words for HSK 4. You can start a fluent conversation with Chinese people with this essential vocabulary as an intermediate level Chinese learner.
- 并 (bìnɡ)
- 3 Structures of 却 (què)
- 通过 (tōnɡ ɡuò )
- 由 (yóu)
- 而 (ér)
- Pivotal Sentence: 兼语句 – 使 (shǐ)
- the Measure Words – 次(cì) / 遍(biàn) / 趟(tàng) / 场(chǎng)
- “Think” : 以为(yǐwéi) vs 认为(rènwéi)
- 另(lìng) VS 另外(lìngwài)
- 及时(jí shí) vs 按时(àn shí)
- “Originally” 本来(běnlái) vs 原来(yuán lái)
- “Whole” 全(quán) vs 全部 (quán bù)
- 对于(duì yú) vs 关于(guān yú)
- 往往(wǎngwǎng) vs 常常(chángcháng)
- Sentence Structure 既…又/也… (jì……yòu/yě……)
- Sentence Structure 不是…而是… (bú shì……ér shì……)
- Sentence Structure 连…，更不用/更不要说… (lián……ɡènɡ bú yònɡ/ ɡènɡ búyào shuō……)
- Sentence Structure 尽管……，可是/仍然/还是…… (jǐnɡuǎn……kě shì/ rénɡ rán/ hái shì……)
- 否则…… (fǒuzé……)
- Sentence Structure 不管/无论…也/都… (bùguǎn/wúlùn…yě/dōu…)
- Sentence Structure 只要…就/便… (zhǐ yào…jiù / biàn…)
- Sentence Structure 既然…，就/也/还… (jì rán…jiù / yě / hái…)
- Sentence Structure 即使……，也…… (jíshǐ … yě …)
- Sentence Structure 再……，也…… (zài … yě …)
In the test paper, there are three sections in total, Listening comprehension, Reading comprehension, and Wring.
|Section||Number of Items|
(45 items / 30 mins)
|Part I: The recording of each item will be played only once. For each item, a short passage will read out, followed by an assertion which also appears on the test paper. The test taker should decide whether the assertion is true or false.|
|Part II: The recording of each item will be played only once. Each item consists of a dialogue between two persons. A third person will then ask a question based on the dialogue. There will be four possible answers on the test paper, from which test takers can choose the right one based on what they hear.|
|Part III: The recording of each item will be played only once. This section consists of a 4-5 sentence dialogue or monologue followed by one or two questions. Four possible answers will be provided on the test paper, from which the test taker can choose the best one.|
|Filling out the answer sheet (Mark your answers for listening comprehension on Answer Sheet) (5 mins)|
(40 items / 40 mins)
|Part I: One or two sentences will be provided for each item, in which one word/phrase is missing. The test taker should choose one of the suggested words/phrases to fill in the blank.|
|Part II: Each item consists of three sentences that the test taker needs to arrange in the correct order.|
|Part III: Each item consists of a short passage, and one or two questions will be asked about the passage. The test taker needs to select the best answer out of the four answers provided.|
(15 items / 25 mins)
|Part I: Each item consists of several words. The test taker should construct a sentence using these words.|
|Part II: Each item consists of a picture and a word. The test taker needs to write a sentence based on the picture and the word.|
Total (100 Mins)
* The test will last for 105 minutes in total (including 5 minutes in which the test takers fill in personal information).
For the HSK (Level IV), four results will be provided including listening, reading, writing and the total. The test taker must score over 60% to be considered passing.
As a Chinese language certificate for foreign students’ entry into Chinese colleges, the results of the HSK are valid for two years (beginning from the test date).